Greenlight Guru: Storyteller Dawn J. Fraser of Barbershop Stories

~~
Greenlight Guru is an interview series that highlights artists across disciplines who have created projects and businesses around their art. This month I welcome humorist, writer and storyteller Dawn J. Fraser of Barbershop Stories!
~~


"Instead of thinking of your project as 'ready, aim, fire' 
think of it as 'ready, fire, aim!'" ~ Dawn J. Fraser

GY: What is your current passion project and how did it come about?
DJF: I have two passion projects, one which is more “fun” and one which is more “business”, but both support my interest in building a platform as a writer and performer. The first is Barbershop Stories, a storytelling show that I host and produce that features poets, musicians and performers sharing true tales in New York City salons. Then I chop off their hair!

My second project is a series of speeches, workshops and educational programs. My academic background is in public policy and leadership, and as a storytelling instructor, I started seeing the ways in which a well told story could be inspiring and engaging. I’ve since made it my goal to not only entertain when I speak, but to also leave audiences with practical life skills and a memorable message.

What was your reason for starting Barbershop Stories and your speaking series?
I was at a storytelling show one night, and after the show I met a professor in the audience. He mentioned that he taught a communications course at a business school, and how he wished that he could show his class how to apply some of the techniques of storytelling to his group of rigid, unengaged presenters. I told him I would develop a workshop for his class, free of charge, in exchange for them video taping the event. 

I put together a workshop that got students working on their feet. The professor was so pleased that he agreed to bring me back for another session and to find some funds so I could get paid. I went back a few months later, did a great job with the workshop, and that led to two more booked workshops. That's when I really started to take notice that there could be a way to use my expertise as a performer and a storyteller to make some side money or possibly even a career.


What has been the best thing about your experience?
It may sound crazy, but I love the unexpected twists, turns and lessons that come when bringing a creative idea to life. Although I started Barbershop Stories as a fun way to showcase some of the city's best performers, it allowed me to explore a creative skill where I didn’t have as much experience: as an MC and host. I’ve since grown to love the art of hosting and might even look into ways to promote myself in this way after I’ve successfully completed my current passion projects. For storytelling and speaking, the best part has been realizing that I can do something that I love and truly make a living!


What has been your greatest lesson?
I think it's important when starting off to find someone who can be a mentor or coach, especially if you know your strengths are in one area, like creative writing, and your goal is to do something where you have less experience, like starting a business. I’ve learned a lot about how to build my brand by taking classes and working with coaches that have helped me grow as both a creative and a business owner. The classes I took on learning how to tell a good story were just as important as the seminars about the speaking business. I think a lot of us who are creative and entrepreneurs think we need to do everything ourselves, but I’ve learned so much from working with experts, tweaking things that haven’t worked, and improving upon my material and platform. 

If you had it to do all over again, what would you do differently?
I would have started sooner! I'd been fired, laid off, and downsized out of three different jobs before I started looking into the ways I could make writing, speaking and storytelling a full time profession. I spent months (maybe years!) applying to jobs that weren’t always in line with my goals and ambitions, but I would take them because they felt safe, easy and responsible. These were mostly 9-5 jobs, which left nights and weekends to work on my passion projects. Once I no longer had a day job, my desire and drive to develop a speaking and storytelling platform was shifted into focus. It was when I truly started paying attention to my passion projects that they started to bloom.

"I think a lot of us who are creative and entrepreneurs
 think we need to do everything ourselves, 
but I’ve learned so much from working with experts."

What are some of the specific career benefits you’ve experienced as a result of doing your own thing?
Shortly after starting Barbershop Stories, I was selected as a featured performer on The Unchained Tour along with legendary novelist Neil Gaiman. I traveled throughout North and South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia, performing at venues both large and small, as part of a message to support local non-chain bookstores. I think that hosting and speaking at events has also helped to establish my voice as a thought leader and someone who has made a unique contribution in various fields.

Why do you think it’s important to have passion projects?
It might sound cliché, but I don’t think there is anything cooler than seeing a dream turned into a reality. Passion projects can really help us understand ourselves if we give them time to grow.

What advice would you give to someone who is hesitant about going out on his or her own?
Instead of thinking of your project as “ready, aim, fire” think of it as “ready, fire, aim!” There will be so many things that will be changed and improved upon, but it will never get started until you make the first step. 

What’s next for you?
Next up will be some kind of multimedia product. I’m playing with the idea of streaming Barbershop Stories online or turning it into a web-based show. I’m also in the process of writing a book that will go along with my speaking gigs so stay tuned for that!
~~

For more about Dawn check out her website and follow her on Twitter (@dawnjfraser). Visit Barbershop Stories to get information about the next show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments help the community. Thank you!

Share The Greenlight Goodness

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...